Friday, July 1, 2011

Fun Summer

I've spent the last few posts writing the majority about Aaron, I thought it was time to update on the rest of us :)

Ok, so I have written a good portion about Nate too but I haven't talked much about what he's done this last month. At the beginning of the month, we had him in Vacation Bible School through our church. It was an awesome, Monday-Friday for three hours deal called "PandaMania".



They began and ended each day singing songs--such cute decorations to go with the theme!

Luckily the first day my mom happened to be off of work so she watched Aaron in the morning while I took Nate the first day in case I would need to stay for a while (which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do). Sure enough, when I went to leave Nate started to get upset. I stayed long enough until it looked like class was going to start and tried to get out the door then. I had to get help from one of the adults there (who I'm very thankful I knew so I was comfortable leaving my poor crying son in her hands). Picking him up later, I was happy to learn that he had only been upset for a few minutes. The rest of the week went smoothly-I didn't have trouble dropping him off any other morning (well, except one morning for a minute when my adult friend was running a little late! I was happy she showed, otherwise I may have had to take him home :) ) The best part was seeing that Nate enjoyed himself and told me what they did that day or what they had to eat (he must learn that from me).

Nate is quite bashful in a group setting, he tends to be the observer, so I think getting him exposed to a social environment was a good thing. Later in July I have him signed up for a few more days of a play class where I drop him off/pick him up a little later-didn't think it would hurt to practice being away from mommy and daddy some more before he starts preschool in almost another month (!) I'm super excited for him to be around kids his age and just be in that social setting. I don't expect him to learn a whole lot, but we wanted to start getting him used to just being on his own, interacting with other kids, learning to follow directions from other adults,etc. Pretty much just a total social reason in preparation for all the years ahead!

This past weekend we took Nate out on a date for pizza and to the circus.



Nate loved the parts with the animals in particular-here there are three rings with horses and zebras in them (sorry for the bad lighting!)



We also made a visit to my grandma for her to visit with the kids.



This past week was also suppose to be when we made a trip to one of our favorite Arizona cities (to cool off and stay in a cabin in the beautiful pines!) up in Greer. For those who don't know, we had a massive wildfire that unfortunately went through some of that town. We are very relieved,however, that despite exaggerated media coverage the town was largely saved with exception of some cabin homes on a hill. The vast majority of the town was saved,hooray! I called the lodge where our cabin was and we were able to reschedule for August.

In a few weeks, we will be going with my family up to the town of Heber (also a stay in a cabin in the trees/little bit cooler city up north). I was pretty bummed that our Greer trip got scratched for this month so I jumped on the chance to go out of town when we got invited. It won't be much more than ten degrees cooler than what it is here, but it will be a nice weather break in the mornings and evenings at least. I'm also just excited for the boys to spend some extra time with their Nana and Pap-Pap. Josh will be staying with us for one night and then the boys and I will stay for the remaining two other nights that my parents have the cabin.

Also this month, Josh and I are planning a day trip with just the two of us to Sedona-probably a go up in the morning and come home after dinner type thing. I'm super stoked for that. I haven't been out of town anywhere since we went to Sedona in December! (for me,that's WAY too long...) The even better part is that my parents are going to take BOTH kids for the night that day so we can come home to a quiet house and well, have a quiet house! :) I'm so very appreciative that we have them around to help. Can't wait.

So...I think that's the latest and greatest from our end. I was dreading the summer months before,thinking how slow the days would go...but actually, the days have gone rather fast despite us staying home more. The boys and I mostly hibernate at home in the afternoons, I have no energy to take them out and about. Aaron especially shouldn't really be out in the heat all that much. We're usually active in the morning and then by lunchtime-ish we rush back to the cool cave :) I've been trying to arrange for Nate to go to Josh's parent's house 1-2 afternoons a week for a few hours just to see some different toys and get to swim when it's most hot out. He really enjoys being in the pool, seeing his other grandparents and getting to play with his cousin if she's there. I enjoy getting to have just one child! :)

It's been a busy summer for us so far-excited to see how the next month unfolds!


No comments: