Graciously my family offered to watch our boys so that I could travel with my husband on his business trip to Newport Beach. I had a great time! We were there for four nights.
We left on a Monday and got to the hotel around lunchtime. Josh had to go right to a lunch work meeting, but since it had been an early morning up I decided to just stay at the hotel. I ordered room service (when does that happen?) , read in bed , took a nap, caught up on a show....simply the gift of staying in bed for hours was awesome.I enjoyed having a lazy day until it was time for our dinner reservation!
Conveniently, a Japanese restaurant I had heard good things about just opened within two weeks of our visit. I was very grateful for being able to get a reservation, and as it turns out it was also the best night for Josh to venture out.
| Right by the harbor. We sat outside so it was awesome just to stare at this view during sunset. |
| The most delish - yellowtail with jalapeno. |
| Mahi mahi? I can't remember which fish this was. We also got a sushi roll, edamame, and dessert. |
We had such a pleasant two hour dinner there. It was really nice not to be rushed!
The following morning, Josh and I had breakfast together before he left then for work. There was a outside shopping center nearby, so that is where I spent most of my day! Shopped, went to a movie, just generally hung out and had dinner and went back to the hotel. It was nice Josh had mornings free, we had time to sleep in and get breakfast together, but he didn't get done until 7-8pm.
| Champagne while I shopped! The above set was also my Mother's Day gift :) |
The following morning we headed to a place called Balboa Pier, still in Newport. I had reservations this day to go whale watching so we had breakfast together there before Josh again went to work.
There wasn't much to do on this part of the pier other than what I was doing (well, I should say it wasn't as nice as the other side of the pier I would have to ferry across to). So, all I did was my whale excursion before Josh was able to break away and took me back to the shopping center, where again I was able to hang out and have dinner before going back to the hotel again. Thankfully our hotel had a shuttle from the shopping center back.
This was definitely a highlight of the trip! I had upgraded my ticket to "VIP", which meant I got to board first, had my own little section of seating outside, plus got to meet/go in and out of the Captain Corner as much as I pleased, so I enjoyed getting to talk to the captain. Oh, and as soon as I boarded I got asked if I wanted a drink. Like, an adult drink. I obliged :)
| My seating section roped off. I ended up being the only VIP that day, so I had it all to myself! |
| Heading out of the harbor, already with a mai tai in hand! |
| Hard to see, but we saw a mother/calf gray whale couple! We spent a good deal of time following them around. |
| Perfect day! Weather, sights... |
| We saw this group of sea lions as well as dolphins |
Josh did get off a bit early this last night so we went out to a nice seafood restaurant by the harbor for dinner.
Everything went real well at home with the boys while we were gone, with the minor little problem that Aaron got a fever Wednesday :( It ended up lasting until Saturday morning. Thankfully though it didn't spread and it wasn't anymore severe. I was thankful my parents decided on staying at our home versus trying to bring everyone over to theirs, they at least could leave germs at our house. It overall made the experience easier on everyone, I think too, to be in their own surroundings - especially since we discovered that Preston doesn't care for the pack-n-play :p
We're very grateful and excited to have another couple trip in June!
| Thanks Newport! |
No comments:
Post a Comment