Saturday, April 14, 2012

New York, New York!

I had a pretty rare,lucky opportunity this past week to venture to New York City with Josh while he traveled there for business. Literally the day before he left he called and asked if I could work things out to go-he was going by himself to an auto convention and there happened to be an awesome fare (despite the 24 hr notice!) I couldn't pass it up! Very thankfully, my mom was available and happy to watch the kids so I could jaunt off for almost 72 hours. Truly things happen for a reason.

So, this past Tuesday just until Thursday morning we stayed in NYC. While Josh was busy all day Wednesday with the auto show, I got to explore the city (subways, streets!) on my own. I'm very happy with my map reading skills and that I got on all the right subways without having to get off and re-trace. Woohoo! Thought I'd share some pictures from my short (but awesome!) getaway.


Stayed right by the Empire State building




Times Square-you can see at the top where the ball dropped NYE


9/11 Museum, still progressing. If you want to visit the memorial, be sure to get a pass first! Was glad I checked online and luckily got one last minute.



9/11 Memorial- two huge waterfall areas symbolizing both towers with names of the fallen surrounding. So touching.








Tree planted in the memorial bears significance-on 9/11, it burned-it was discovered however that it still showed signs of life and was nursed back to health. Now it has been re-planted back at the site.






To give an idea how huge these water areas were.




Surviving fireman's hat from that day, in the Visiting Center




Found among the rubble :(



Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art



Can't be among Monet paintings without taking pictures of them!





Walking along Central Park-I'd love to come back with the kids and come here. There's a pond to launch boats, a zoo and different playgrounds inside.




Tulips are everywhere!


Spent some time at a Starbucks inside reading. Ahhhh, the sweet life! ;)



If you're currently watching Celebrity Apprentice- Paul Sr has a chopper for viewing :)



St. Patrick's Cathedral


Rockefeller Center


In the plaza




I've been to NY once before but was excited to make a return trip. I wouldn't have minded seeing a few other things, but I didn't want to push the good luck I was having that day already finding things ;) Having time to sit with a coffee and read was also treat enough to me. Unexpected dinner dates were also awesome. A method we found that we're going to start using- use OpenTable.com when you're somewhere new. We haven't found a place on there yet that has disappointed us! We discovered a French wine bar and Italian restaurant close to us that were great. Twas a fun, unexpected trip away!

No comments: