Monday, April 23, 2012
Best Friends
Over the last few weeks I've been thinking about my best friends. Two different girls in different stages of life. Both mean a lot to me.
My first best friend I've known since elementary school (we've known each other since second grade, but didn't become good friends until we re-connected in the same class in sixth grade). We sat together in class, played clarinet in band together...I think it's really neat that we've remained friends for over twenty years! There isn't anything we don't know about each other. Her name is Annie, she got engaged last summer and is getting married in June in California (two days away from my wedding anniversary even!) I'm super excited for her and to travel to be in her wedding. Making things even cooler, her fiancee bought a house a few years ago a block away from ours! So, my best friend is about to become my neighbor! :D Oh I don't know what I'd do without her. I hope we're sitting on a porch when we're 90, drinking lemonade and discussing our grandkids together.
High school graduation trip to Disneyland
With Nathan, 3 months old at her college graduation party
At my wedding
Annie and her fiancee with Aaron
At Annie's bridal shower
Bachelorette party in Vegas!
I just came home from Annie's Bachelorette party in Las Vegas this past weekend. Such a great, yet crazy time :) It's just weird to think of us sitting in the cafeteria with our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and now here we are-playing rolette, dancing and having a few drinks. Going through each stage of life together. I can't wait until she has kids of her own!
My second good friend I met almost four years ago. I happened to be looking out the front window of our house and saw our neighbor directly across from us outside with a baby seat. At the time Nate was only months old so I thought that maybe I would walk over with a note, letting the woman know that I was a fellow mom across the street with a young baby as well in case she was interested in talking or getting together. Well-lucky for me I had the courage to leave the note and she had the courage to email me back! :) Her name is Sami, and she has a son named Eli who is a little younger than Nate. For about a year we walked over to each other house's each week and took turns having playdates. I loved having a friend so close who knew what I was going through (and who I could also give advice to). Plus the boys having an extra friend didn't hurt either!
One of Nate and Eli's first dates together
Sami with Eli and Nate
After about a year Sami's husband got a job offer in Oklahoma,where they now reside. I miss our friends. Thankfully at least for Facetime (and Facebook!) we try to chat with our kids as often as time allows. Sami has come back to AZ every now and then to visit family and I visited them in OK once. I hope we get to see each other somehow within the next year. I'm excited for her as well as she's expecting their second child in a few months. Imagine-both my good friends within a block of my home! How awesome would that have been??
Friends are truly one of life's biggest blessings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh that's so sweet Heather! I couldn't even read the last paragraph because of the tears in my eyes :) I wished we had met sooner :( I'm so thankful for Facebook and FaceTime too. That's for that sweet post, you made my day friend! Miss you and your boys bunches!!
You are very lucky lady to have 2 wonderful friends. Exciting that one will be close to your house again! I can definitly see why they have been friends with you for so long...you're a great friend. I too have dear, dear frineds from college and grammer school and we keep in touch via Facebook too. Yay for technology!
Post a Comment