Saturday, May 1, 2010

New Experiences

...for both Nate and I! This past weekend we took him to the Arizona Science Center. First time there, and along with that came Nate's first experience with a movie theater-the IMAX! I thought it would help some if we let him have some of his favorite snacks-popcorn and M & M's. We bought tickets to see "Under The Sea"-a documentary on sea animals. On a side note: I think it's sad that we seem to be losing our documentaries at IMAX theaters-unless they're at a museum, we're losing our independent IMAX theaters to 3D movies. No offense to 3D movies but I can see a movie in 3D at a typical neighborhood theater-I would have liked to see them keep more documentary type shows so that my child could actually learn something vs just watching a show for entertainment all the time.

Ok, moving on...I think Nate was fascinated with seeing something on such a huge screen. He likes and knows the different types of sea animals so I think he generally enjoyed it-though the snacks did prove to be a good distraction for him! Definately helped. He was a bit fidgety, but never got off our lap. I'm trying to decide if I feel brave enough to try a regular theater later this month when one of the big Disney Pixar movies comes out during the week (snacks included again). The IMAX show was 45 minutes...vs an hour and a half. Perhaps, I guess we'll see!




While the museum mostly seemed to tend to children who were old enough to do experiments and such, I was glad to see that they did have a play area for toddler kids and mats out with Legos. Daddy and Nate had a good time playing. Though of course anytime Nate saw buttons to push, he had to push them!






As far as my new experience, I just signed up for my first half marathon (13.1 miles)! It will take place over Labor Day weekend at Disneyland (at least someplace fun!) So my "treat" will be getting to spend a few days there. I'm currently running at 6.5-7 miles, halfway there. I figure as long as I carefully,steadily continue up without injuring myself I will be able to pull it off. That has been my biggest fear: injury as the mileage increases. I've been trying to remain at a certain distance for a few weeks before moving up by a half mile or so and mixing my workouts with spinning and other exercises that use different muscles. This has been the most fit and healthy I've ever felt, even prior to Nate. While I'm a little nervous about this race I'm really excited too!


I know I've talked about before of the difficulties being "two", only recently have we started to put Nate in time out. I've just started to read a book called "123 Magic" - strategies of good discipline so children learn not to misbehave. Essentially it talks about a method that most parents use I think-counting. Count from one to three, and once the child hits three then it's time for a time out. The major difference with this method is that you aren't suppose to reason/explain/compromise with the child about the action they are doing. Just short and sweet counts and time out if they get to three. I will have to try it this week. Nate's biggest misbehavior are tantrums-anything from being seated in the car seat to not receiving a treat he wants or not wanting to leave a place he's having fun at (which have led to hitting mommy in the head-an automatic three!) Anytime we're out someplace I always give him a heads up about how much time we have left but that doesn't always matter. He has to be ready to leave too.

Nate has also just recently started to say "mommy". He says it so slowly and clearly...so cute! He isn't speaking many sentences yet but still knows tons of words, too many to list-especially in the animal category.

We are still having so much fun in our Mom's Club group. We have thirteen members,which is small compared to other groups, but that has allowed us to become pretty close to most members which is nice. In fact, Nate has become increasingly close to a little girl in our group who is about six months older than him-Lauren. She has taken a definate liking to him! She tries to say his name and anytime we're together she's always following him around. If we're out to eat she shares her snacks with him. And...on a recent walk around a lake we took, we caught her trying to hold his hand ;) They are too cute! Nate isn't quite sure what to think-he enjoys having a play buddy and loves her snacks, but he looked kinda funny when she took his hand :) I'm happy when they get together because they keep the other busy! Guess we'll see where the leaves fall :)

Not quite ready for our weather to get in the high 90's this week. Oh well-I'm looking forward to trying out a newer public pool that sounds like fun-it just may be a new fixture for us for the summer!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommy's out there-may you get to sleep in and have breakfast in bed on the big day! (isn't that our wish?)


No comments: