Tuesday, March 31, 2020

And March...Went to Sh**





Pardon my French. The rest of February was nice, Valentine's Day and such. Even the beginning of March the boys went to another NASCAR race and spent time with family in town. We just started Spring Break so the first week we had gone out to different places, including Aaron and Preston each getting their own Build-A-Bear! It was after that, things went downhill very fast.

For starters, I lost my craft job with Green Kid Crafts. That felt out of the blue and I didn't quite agree or appreciate how it went down. But, little did I know it was probably more of a blessing in disguise to have one less job to worry about, even if I was losing a bit of money. It was also at this time that I had met with my publisher of the magazine I write for, and also happened to turn in a column that I felt took a good chunk of time to do (gave it back). That also happened to work in my favor, even at the loss of money. 

Since January, I have been very, very busy with my teaching job. It was to be typically busy because of the Chinese New Year holiday. However, it was soon after the New Year that China came down with a sickly virus. It spread like wildfire which caused schools in China to close down to prevent spread.  Kids were stuck at home. Parents decided to throw their kids hard into lessons. I have been teaching morning and night classes since that time, most weeks and only just recently tapering off a bit. Kids are still not in school there. It was in the beginning of March that this sickly virus made its grand way into America. 

As of today, our schools are officially closed for the year. FOR.THE. YEAR. The rest of the school year. Our state went into lockdown mode. Restaurants have closed their dine in operations and adapted to take out, delivery and curbside. The flippin stores are out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, paper towels, meat, pasta, eggs, milk. It's complete madness and it's predicted it will only grow worse. We are to stay in our homes for the most part unless it is essential. 

So now, as a result, we have no idea when life will return to normal but boy are we banking hard that it will return one day. The boys are bummed because we canceled a planned Spring Break getaway to theme parks -- just as they decided to close. We had plans to attend my sister's nursing graduation in another city and canceled those plans. We were to go on a trip to Mexico in May to celebrate, but the border is now closed. We are to go to Europe in June and now there is a high chance it will be canceled, too. Life is up in the air and it's scary and it's frustrating. I don't want to be home anymore than the kids do. 

The kids have started e-learning this week, doing assignments online. As the weeks go on, I imagine it will change how these assignments work. I'm just so sad for the kids missing the rest of the year, especially Nate as I had images of his graduation, ceremony, his last day of school clap out....all canceled. I hope the school figures something out, but regardless we will. This will be the first Easter (holiday) we will not be celebrating with our families. I miss the socialization A TON. I thought I was home a lot before...literally my saving graces are baths and walks, which thank goodness for mild weather and that we are allowed outside. China was not.


I have no idea how to teach for real, but here we go!



New activities for "centers"
Immediately I bought some new things for the boys, grasping onto anything that would make them happy. Since we can still receive delivery and takeout, I have been supporting and using local businesses as happy parts of our days. 

Have to support my favorite coffee shop. Local businesses are hurting :( 

PE time

Supporting local business with a fancy date night at home

Our new life - FaceTime


I love the honesty of kids. Aaron's note to his cousin,Autumn , who still had a birthday party...


So, for the coming months we will be balancing working from home (I'm very relieved Josh is working from home and not traveling), schoolwork, entertaining the kids...same as everyone right now into summer. We really hope the kids will go back to school on time in July, but that is far off and remains to be seen.

In the meantime, we will just keep thinking and wishing for the rainbow days to return. It really does make you appreciate all the small things, like just being able to catch up with a friend for coffee. I had just met up with friends right before spring break. 



I'm also very much wishing for the safety and health for our family and friends during this absolute crazy time. We will not forget 2020 and what it teaches us. 

No comments: