Last Tuesday was great - a break from mommyhood to embrace the woman in me! For those who don't know, I was chosen by a local, organic hair salon to participate in a photo shoot they were chosen to do. I found out this was going on, went in to meet the owner and show off my hair, and proceeded to get a blessed email a few days later :)
It all began last Monday - I went in the day before the shoot to get all my coloring and cut done. I gave up my "hair rights" for the shoot, so I literally did not know how I was going to come out looking like! For all I knew I could have had zebra stripe, short hair. Thankfully, four hours later, I came out with a honey blond base, bright blonde highlighted hair (and only had three-four inches taken off the length). I'm sorry I can't post pictures of it (or any from the shoot), I had to sign fun waivers to keep everything hidden so that we would get picked up for national publication :) Overall happy with the look, it will be great for summer!
I arrived bright and early at the salon the next morning to begin our day. Bless my very helpful mommy who picked up the boys and held onto them all day. As soon as I walked in the door, the owner very excitedly greeted me and told me that they would have fruit trays, drinks and other food and that I was to let them know when I needed any of it and "they would bring it to me". Wow, I don't get many days where I get bowed down to!
There were eight models total, half of whom were 15-18 years old! I was suddenly worried I was going to be the "old, mommy model" of the group. Luckily, my other blonde counterpart of the shoot that day (she was the "cool" blonde and I was the "warm" blonde) was older than me and also had kids so we got along real well. Each of us had our own theme going on - they had our pictures on the wall, right beside the picture of what we were to look like. Someone was J.Lo, someone was a glam, 50's girl, and me....well, I was Farrah Fawcett from the 70's/80's, which meant I had big, curly hair (no feathery look). My first thought too was that they were going to throw me in a red bathing suit, which thankfully wasn't the case! (regarding one of Farrah's iconic poses in the day)
So we started the day with my hair in curlers, followed by airbrush makeup - they were going for a "just came from the beach look", so I had a bronzy/gold face. Looked great with the hair. Then it was time, I decided, to "demand" my lunch (fruit, some chicken sliders from a local restaurant, even organic tea!) Then I got in my outfit before they finished my hair. There was a fashion lady from a vintage/antique shop with dresses and jewelry for us to wear. They chose a slinky, black dress for me to wear (with sleeves I could pull down to show off bare shoulders) along with gold, diamond earrings (that were beautiful but weighed a ton!)
My hair got worked on some more, and by the time I was done, well...I thought I looked like a lion. With a mane. I sort of looked in the mirror and wondered, "Who is ever going to look in a magazine and think that they want my lion hair?" I definately had the craziest hairdo of the group. Everyone else could at least go out in public without getting funny looks. Me...I had to be tamed before I could go out.
So anyway, it was one of those "hurry up and wait" kinds of things. I was ready but waited awhile until it was my turn to be shot. We went to an empty room that had a backdrop in it. Thankfully, they told me how to pose! Sort of awkward. It seemed like they spent a half hour or so with each girl. I heard they got some good shots, but I never got to see the end result :(
All I know is, our pictures are being submitted to whomever they need to go to, and they will "pick" the ones they want. I "think" they'll be in some sort of national hair magazine(s), but don't know which one, when, etc. The owner of the salon is suppose to get back to us when she knows anything, which I also have no clue when that will be. So, for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least one of my pictures gets picked just so I can see how it turned out! I'll keep y'all updated as soon as I know anything...
The boys had huge grins on their faces when I got home, like "Whoa! Where did mommy go?!" Hubby was unfortunately out of town until late that evening, so he didn't get to see the full look. I went out to dinner that night with my sister to a fancy place (but of course, as I didn't want to just come home and make macaroni and cheese!)
It was a fun day, being glammed up. Totally not the norm. Now I just hope I get to see/keep a picture to look at when I'm sitting with my tea, eighty years old :) Remember when....
No comments:
Post a Comment