Monday, December 17, 2012

We Love Sandy Hook

Like many others I'm sure, I'm still heartbroken, in disbelief, shock and losing sleep over Friday's tragic event in Newton,CT. I've always thought any sort of shooting episode was saddening, but the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary really took the cake. It struck a chord. How any person could walk in and kill almost two dozen beautiful, innocent young children. It makes me extremely sad and now has made me extrememly anxious. How do we let our children go to school now? We shouldn't have to worry about whether or not we'll see them when the bell rings for the day. It really pains me that this is our new world, where shootings like these are becoming common, almost every week occurances.

It has had me seriously think about home schooling my kids. Keep them safe. Safe from school shootings, bullying...anything that can hurt them at school. I just want to put each of my kids in a bubble to keep them safe from everyone and everything.

I feel so much grief for the victims and their families. Yet again we're reminded of the important things in life- now, to be thankful for the little kisses and hugs from our kids. I know I will for sure be upping my hugs,kisses and 'I love you's'. Friday showed us that you never know when the last time is that you will see someone.

I got a balloon yesterday and wrote all the names of the victims on it and sent it up in the air. Just my personal way of showing that I'm thinking of them.

 
 

 




 
 

 
 

 
Nate didn't know why we were releasing a balloon. He's not at an age to need to know the world's horror stories. Had he asked, he would have understood if I told him there were some new angels in heaven. But that's as far as I would have gone.
 
I think I'm going to have a litle bit of a hard time releasing him to school today. I'm reminded of the similarities to Friday's tragedy- that he's close to the one point of entry, near the front office/principal's office....I'm trying hard not to let fear and worry rule our lives. I know that's the way I need to go, otherwise we just aren't living. I know I can't keep my kids in their rooms 24/7, as much as I want to protect them.
 
I'm praying hard that something changes, that innocent killings like these stop. I want the world to be a better place for our kids than what it is.


No comments: