Hubby and I drove out Friday morning so that we'd have plenty of time to get ready for our nice dinner out that evening with my sister and best friend. That all worked out, until I started to show my sister all my "racing gear" I brought and discovered that...well, with exception of my shoes and my music, I forgot the bag that had the majority of my running gear in it! Oh the horror. I thought I was being all smart before by packing my running stuff in one bag so I didn't have to dig through my suitcase for each thing, but then of course that left one more bag to remember to put in the car. I guess with the nerves and trying to get the kids packed to go with Nana and Pap Pap for the weekend I totally spaced out. So, it was determined that Saturday morning was going to be spent shopping instead of conserving energy...what can you do?
Our dinner Friday night at Gordon Ramsey Steak was delicious!
We followed dinner with the Beatles LOVE Cirque show at The Mirage. We enjoyed that too. We met up with my best friend then at the Cosmopolitan for drinks (I had one drink!) This was my designated "fun" night out before conserving, and it was fun indeed! :)
We woke up Saturday morning and shopped for my gear-I'm happy to report we found 95% of the stuff I left home. With exception of Snicker marathon bars (a protein bar) and my Sportband (that tracks my miles), I had bought new clothes, anti-chafe cream, a fuel belt, etc. We hopped over to my running expo to get my racing bib and met everyone for lunch. After our busy morning, I REALLY wanted to conserve my legs. Josh and I saw a movie that afternoon so I could sit and then we met everyone up for dinner. That night in particular it was all about fuel,fuel,fuel! I stuffed myself with as many carbs as I could (to give my muscles energy). We went to an Italian place so I could feast on bread and pasta.
Until about 1pm on Sunday, I just sat around at my sister's condo until it was time to get ready and head down to the strip (the race didn't start until 3pm).
Me and sissy by the start line
With my best friend and her hubby
In my corral, anxiously waiting to start!
I was pretty anxious/nervous of course going in to starting. There was some windy gusts that day, so running in the headwind wasn't any fun (which my first mile was). Wasn't a good way to begin :)
Bye guys! Heading in to mile 2.
By mile 3 I was over my capri's- so I rolled them up into shorts. The first six miles were for sure the best- the actual running down the strip. There were so many people on the sidelines hooting and hollering. It was motivating, and well that was the best scenery of the race too.
I concentrated on trying to get to mile 13 by the cut off point before runners would get diverted (so that some strip points could be re-opened). It was hard to know because I wasn't able to track miles (and miles weren't always posted) and I didn' t really know how much time had passed. I bought a watch with a timer but the watch would re-set itself...
Hubby and my sister with her husband were to meet me at mile 13 so that they could re-fuel me.
I'm coming and I don't want this jacket!
Ok, what stuff do I need/ need to leave off...
Yes sissy hydration is important
I made it through the first half just fine- I even had a personal best time for my half marathon (13 miles). The second half, however, was not too shockingly more difficult. No, I didn't run the whole thing. When I felt a cramp coming on, I stopped to drink a bunch of Gatorade and tried to walk as fast as I could. With each medical station I passed,however, I had them spray me with pain meds on my calves/knees/lower back which helped numb the area, and then I ran some more.
So it took me a little over five hours, but I completed my first full marathon, uninjured! :) I'm very happy I didn't pull any muscles or anything else. Just sore.
At least with the cold weather I didn't feel a drop of sweat. I didn't feel cold until I was done. It was so nice not to sweat for a change, unlike here :p
I'm pretty happy with the end result. Having a new best half marathon time, completing my first marathon, not in as quite as much pain as I'd thought I'd be, no injuries...the endorphins are awesome. I'd like to attempt another marathon again, however, after I take a break from long distance running for a bit ;) I'm ready to do smaller runs and other workouts without having to devote hours to training each week.
We came back home the following day. I'm giving myself the week off from exercise, that is before my next 5k over the weekend :) Good times, and I'm so thankful to everyone who came out to support me and all the well wishes/congratulations I have received!




2 comments:
Great job, Heather! It takes so much preparation and determination to run a full marathon. I hope you feel very accomplished!
Wow!! Pretty awesome! Way to go!
Post a Comment