Sunday, August 12, 2018

School Back in Session

The bad thing about waiting a bit to write, is that is provides opportunity to forget! The second half of summer (basically the month of July) flew by. We had family over for the 4th as we usually do for a pool/firework party, the last few years we've started a new tradition of swimming that evening in the dark versus going out for fireworks (they never usually stay up late enough to do so). The second week of July brought a robotic camp for both Aaron and Nathan which they enjoyed. The last week we went to a pool, visited with friends in town, met the teachers, went back to school shopping...daddy and I even got out for a quick 24 hours to ourselves (and forgot what that was like!) Enjoyed a little walk, drinks and snacks by the pool, room service dessert in bed...it was lovely! We celebrated Josh's birthday then with my family after we got back.







The following day was the first day of school! We were so glad daddy could be in town this year, especially with the boys starting at a new school.










I'm happy to say that we are almost a month in already, and it has been pretty smooth! The boys have been excited about the new/different things. They have both made friends (whew-mama can rest worries now). They like their teachers and classmates. Nathan just started percussion and loves it so far. We're only just beginning to get into the real fun differences of activities and just general fun compared to our other school.

On that note, while there is a lot of "fun" at this school, I'm discovering how it all comes to be. PTO works really hard, and it is all consuming all the time. Here I thought I picked the "less busy role"of Secretary, but there is something going on every week. One of the biggest differences between this school and last - I was only ever really busy around times of meetings - this school I am definately delegated to quite more and more is expected of me. Had I really known, I probably would not have volunteered. Kind of hard to know until you get your hands dirty, however....

At any rate, I have made some mom friends and we all get along so it has been a pleasant experience from that point. I think it would have been better to do if I didn't have to worry about having a younger child with as much "at school" help as they expect.

Anyway, we continue to be excited about what is to come this year. We miss our old group of friends, particularly a group we used to talk to after school, but it has been nice that Preston and I now drop off and pick up Nathan and Aaron through the school's "drive thru". So nice not to get out into the heat! Even if it means sitting for 30 minutes in a car. What can you do?

No comments: