Monday, April 18, 2011

Mr. Bossypants

Funny how you go through each age and people tell you, "Oh just wait until he/she turns...". Funny how with each age Nate turns, I automatically think it's the worst one yet. What I will say : each age has its own pros and cons. There isn't always going to be all pros, and there isn't always going to be all cons! (in my experience,anyway). I'm happy that at age three that Nate can communicate to tell me what he wants or doesn't want, what he's feeling, occasionally if he needs to go potty...however, he's also turned into-what my title says-Mr. Bossypants! He'll tell us to "sit down", "stay here", "wait a minute first", "no thank you", "pick it up"...a bunch of not so fun, demanding phrases. He'll also copy a lot of what he hears us tell him, like "Tell you what.How about we...." Nate just gets smarter and soaks up information like a sponge week by week. Just this past week he counted to ten on his own! Thanks to our pals, Mickey's Clubhouse, he'll probably learn his ABC's pretty soon (he loves the learning audio books we've gotten him-each of them Mickey!) In most ways, it's awesome to see his vocabulary grow all the time.

I wish his vocabulary and understanding was at a point to explain why potty training isn't so popular lately, though ;) We have good, "things are looking up" days and then others where all our patience and time at home has gone down the drain. Patience isn't one of my best traits but it's something (especially since having a child) that I work on all the time. I had thought that once Nate started potty training that it would be a fast and "done and over with" process within a week. For us it's been a continuous on and off switch! It's hard. On the one hand I feel pressure to get Nate trained before Aaron arrives (and the start of summer when I'd like to enroll him in classes,camps and other activities to help keep him busy that require a potty trained kiddo) but on the other, I'm trying hard not to put pressure on him so that he doesn't resist or back off even more. Each day is different-he'll go once one day, five times the next, then back to none...I find the whole process completely confusing :)

Can't believe April is just about over. I would post updated pictures of Aaron's basically done bedroom, but we still may work on it some more over the next two weeks. We're hoping to get blinds/shades in now that it's already hitting the 90 degree mark and the sun is coming up earlier. I just need to get the diaper bag and hospital bag ready to go, and then that's pretty much it! Nate is already having a blast pushing the baby swing ("for baby brother"), checking out the vibrating glider, unloading all Aaron's clean clothes from his drawers....it's cool to see that he's getting an idea that a baby will be in the household within a few weeks. We bought Nate a few gifts, "from Aaron" once he is born. I also bought him a Thomas on the go train track/Thomas car that he can fold up and bring with him to/home from the hospital while I'm in there. I wasn't planning on giving it to him until it's time.

Looking forward to a three day weekend with the hubby home for the Easter holiday. We'll be busy jumping from house to house on the actual day. Speaking of holidays-we've decided to celebrate Mother's Day the Sunday before, not knowing how the actual day will play out. Sounded like a good idea to me-if I haven't had Aaron yet by that point, I may be at the point of just wanting to sit my bum on the couch all day :) I'm hoping to have him by that point, however. It would be nice since Nate was late.

Well, speaking of sitting on my bum-I'm ready to put my feet up for the night. Probably some Easter pictures next week!

No comments: