Monday, February 15, 2010

Officially Two...and Terrible?

Nate just had his two year visit with the pediatrician-he's 28 pounds and 35 inches long. Thankfully, no shots today! Now he doesn't need to go back for another year. The doctor said he's growing and acting normal for his age, including the "eating a ton one minute" and "just wanting a cereal bar" the next. And of course the "terrible tantrums". He's made sure that I'm aware that he isn't happy about situations for sure :)

And now I'm bummed to go back to past posts where I boasted about Nate not climbing out of his bed. *sigh* Not the case now, sadly. The last week, during both his naptime and bedtime, he has climbed out of bed and opened his door. Oh he's very amused and excited with his new discovery. At first we tried just putting him back in his bed over and over, but that got to be too much of a game for him-he'd laugh as we would chase him back in his room. Rather than playing that game for hours to see who would win, we decided we needed to do something more aggressive. I had hoped the "passive" way was going to work but decided a harsher way would teach him to stay in his room and bed faster. We began to lock him in there. He always intially cries/screams for at least a few minutes but does eventually fall asleep. If he's extremely tired he won't try to get out of bed, but otherwise always does and ends up falling asleep on the floor by the door. At night, once he's asleep, we put him back in his bed. If he does actually take his nap, I let him be-too scared to take the risk of waking him up and having that be the end of the nap! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this phase doesn't last much longer. We did try to move the bar higher but he was able to get over it. At this point we would rather not put the crib side back up-I'd be too afraid he's try and climb over it and injure himself.

I guess there's always some adjustments we're making! Always learning and adapting. He continues to be more verbal every week-always new words and actions. We're having great weather right now so Nate has gotten the chance to enjoy his birthday gifts-especially the tricycle! Gosh I can't even imagine life without it, he loves riding it all around.

After a long day I'm off to catch some TV now that Nate is sleeping. Aaah, peace! The simple things today make us happy!

No comments: