Aaron is different. Aaron, while he may have completed his independent work, seemed to rush through without following instructions some of the time/or mis interpreted instructions. I'm having to remind him of his live teacher meetings to log on. This quarter will involve a bit more hand holding to see how it goes. I now review his work before he turns it in. He generally needs additional support, so we will be watching the COVID counts and how 2nd quarter goes online to make the decision on him going back next quarter. It is a difficult decision, as once we allow the kids back to school they are to stay there.
I don't think either boy minds being home, (the lunch food is certainly better!), but I feel bad that they are away from their friends and just anything resembling typical school for them. I'm definitely proud of everyone regardless on just making it through a difficult, frustrating and unpredictable time without complaining much. Having record summer temperatures for months upon months has not helped us either. They have not been able to be outside to play. FINALLY, we are seeing cooler temperatures in the mornings and evenings. Next week we might even see Fall!! Being outside to play and exercise will help a good deal I think. We only realize how things seemed a bit 'easier' when we had another option.
Now below are a few pictures from first quarter. Second quarter (one week in) has been going well. I am glad to have the consistency of online and no worries about school shutting back down or having to be quarantined, or....while the situation is still stressful, it is one less thing to worry about which is what mama wanted.
One thing that has happened in the several months since is I have been interviewed for our local news a few times on the choice of selecting to do school from home. Didn't realize that I would feel like the face of a movement in a way because I feel like 1 out of 5 people making this decision in our state. It's been predicted the shoe will drop at some point, I've chose to trust the scientists making this prediction...I guess we'll see in the winter if I'm right. I just hated to put the boys back into an unstable situation. Really though...I don't feel like there's any RIGHT decision. Keeping my kids home keeps them safe. Keeps them relatively happy. It gives them more flexibility and freedom to their days a bit. We've learned to make decisions more at the last moment. December will be a big month - if we decide to keep the boys home yet for 3rd quarter, it basically means for the year. Especially for Nate, it would be too difficult for him to go back and refigure into classes in school in between quarters. I guess we'll have to see if there's even in person school at that point. Oh the year 2020!



No comments:
Post a Comment