Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Preston is 3/4 Months Old!

Yelp! It's going to be a bit hard now to recall what some 3 month and then 4 month traits are of our little guy. Crazy times!

This was a definite 3 month event, however! He hasn't rolled over onto belly yet, but can roll to his sides and from his tummy to his back.

Always lots of cuddles with mama

He hasn't been too interested in his feet, definitely more so his hands! We have started putting hands and objects into our mouth, making bubbles, drooling, etc. You can tell he has much better vision now - he can see things from a distance and he's getting better at grasping toys/objects close (a new favorite : hair! gimme all the hair!)



Still lots of smiles for brothers!

He now weighs ~ 14 pounds, 25 or so inches long, wearing 6 month clothes. Within another few weeks I'm sure it'll jump to 9 mos! Still on a reflux medicine. I glanced back and noticed that at Aaron's 4 month dr visit was when we were told he needed to wear a doc-band (to help re-shape a flat spot on his head), but I'm happy to report that Preston's head seems to be just fine. We were also told to wait until he is six months old before trying any solids, including rice or oatmeal. Just dining at mommy's restaurant, the doctor said!

This past month has been a doozy. We had our first (I think) family flu! Or Nirovirus I should say. Talk about stress! Especially seeing that it was knocking down family members one by one I totally went into panic mode for baby P. And boy, I've never had to nurse and take care of a little baby while having the flu! In fact I literally had to dislatch and put baby P on the floor quick so I could run and take care of business :( The total pits. I remember that I could barely pick him up, he felt so heavy! It's so not fun to be a mother whilst sick.

THANKFULLY, ever so thankfully, Preston was the only sole survivor of the bug - he never got it! This makes me ever so glad with myself that I have stuck out the breastfeeding, because I'm pretty sure that  is what saved him - I produced antibodies to protect him from the illness.

On that note, there was something else that happened in Month 3 - Preston and I got our first breastfeeding infection. It was a thrush/yeast infection, which we both had to be treated for 4x a day with both oral and creams for two weeks. Again, it makes me glad I didn't throw in the towel then because of what happened last month. It's actually a common infection along with mastitis.

He's doing way better at keeping his head up and at tummy time

Just like Nathan at this age, can hold his own bottle! Aaron did not. 


Preston does like to be on his legs and stand.

He loves it when people give his tummy kisses!

He's getting more into toys that light up and play music.

Lots of smiles and giggles!

 Yes, on that note...!

Right as the dreaded virus entered our house we just began with a sleep coach for Preston. When Aaron was around the same age I had a friend at the time that was a sleep coach and helped guide us towards Aaron sleeping better/ sleeping through the night. Same deal here! Only, I also wanted to transition Preston from sleeping in our room and the swing for naps into his crib for all sleep.

He slept good in the swing, but I wanted to get rid of the relying on movement action for sleep. At night interestingly enough he would sleep fine without moving, but it varied where he slept (in the pack n play, in our arms,etc) Plus, it seemed like any of our movements and noise would wake him up.

Long story short, we just finished working with the sleep coach now for just about a month. The latest is...

--he now takes naps and nighttime sleep in his crib
--has a nap and bedtime routine
--on a schedule (eat and sleep at certain times). Our clan always seems to do better with predictability!

Also in January (but thankfully after the virus had already passed through everyone), Preston began the 4 month sleep regression a bit early! Meaning, his naps and nighttime sleep haven't been as long as before. So, I was skeptical on how sleep training would work with this going on. But, he is taking 3 naps for about an hour (give or take, less or more) each day, goes to bed around 6:30/7, stays in bed until 6:30/7 the next day. For now he is only eating twice during the night, about every four hours. We are still training him to sleep all the way to those points. Before having help I was getting up every 1-2 hours to nurse him back to sleep! :( It was just not sustainable. Even now I'm nervous to let him cry a bit more until it's time for him to eat, since Aaron is just on the other side of his wall/room.

Looking back at Nate and Aaron, by 5 months is when they both started to sleep through the night/longer durations. So I'm really, really hoping in the next month we'll start to see our guy go longer stretches or at least make it to the feeding points without having to console him.

If that could just go ahead and coincide with Josh having to leave for Japan for a few weeks next month, that'd be great! (ha) We're trying hard to be consistent.

Our sleeping coach gave us tips and schedules for down the road as well, so I'm thankful we used her and hope to see her knowledge pay off soon.

I think that pretty much sums up where we're at at Month 4!

No comments: