We were so excited to take little sis to one of our favorite places. She, of course, was excited to see the Eiffel Tower (who isn't?) Let me start off by saying - we had an awesome apartment - directly across the street from both a bakery and supermarket, so we were there on a daily basis for breakfast and to grab sandwiches to stash for our lunch while we were out. And, best of all, the apartment was only a five minute walk from the Eiffel Tower! Location,location,location! With six of us traveling together, it made way more sense to have an apartment than to rent three hotel rooms. We also all agreed that we like that better - to have more room, cook some of our own meals, etc. In London we stayed in a hotel, only because as I mentioned, London is expensive! Hotel was better there.
 |
| Apartment view |
 |
| Looking out at Paris road/people walking by - it wasn't really all that noisy, surprisingly! |
(Sidenote : we arrived to Paris via high speed train from London, and since I've gone through now both planes and trains traveling from country to country in Europe, I would say I like the train way better! Easier to get to and around in)
As soon as we arrived at our apartment and dumped our stuff, first thing we did was take off to the bakery for croissants! Oh how I love European food. Definately some indulging going on.
 |
| Croissants, how I love thee... |
 |
| And again...the produce! Our little store. |
I spoke a lot more French this time around. I did find that they appreciate when you at least attempt to speak the language, though I still found that there were a handful that knew at least some English. Between the bits of French and bits of English, we got our points across :) One evening, after this delicious meal below, our waiter came back with lollipops for me. He had given me kudos on my French. Highlight of my trip right there, haha! Although somehow I accidently ordered a bunch of beers...yikes!
 |
| Scrumptious "boeuf et pomme frites" (steak and fries!) Again, where's the "eat this picture" button?! |
First attraction we hit was the Arc de Triomphe - my younger sister and brother-in-law climbed all serveral hundred steps to the top to get the view of a bunch of streets that align together (me, on the other hand, remembered those several hundred steps that I did years ago and sat on the sideline!)
 |
| People on the very tip top |
Following that we went down a nice street, called the Champs Elysees, that has a bunch of shops and nice outdoor cafes (that is definately the thing with Paris - all outside dining pretty much!)
 |
| Champs Elysees - love the trees that line the street |
Starting our first full day in Paris, we began with a lunch river cruise down the Seine. Here is where I ran into my first rude Frenchman (according to a new French friend of mine, the fact I haven't run into more rude people is a surprise). He wasn't really all that bad, I was asking for directions to our boat and he was just calling them names, since they're competitors. So not necessarily rude at me per se :) But it was humorous.
 |
| Appetizer |
 |
| Older sister, brother-in-law, younger sister |
 |
| Mommy and daddy :) |
 |
| Dessert | |
After lunch we explored Notre Dame - excited because I was allowed pictures inside!
I didn't know that you were allowed up the bell tower...so I did that along with my mom, younger sister and brother-in-law...that was a few spiral steps too! But a nice view at the top.
 |
| So tired from Notre Dame's steps that we cafe'd it for water and dessert! |
Then we went to both the Lock Bridge and Princess Diana's memorial, two things in particular I wanted to go to that I somehow missed the time I've been to Paris before.
 |
| A few locks? It's no wonder the bridges collapse! |
 |
| My lock. Can't wait to go back in a few years and see if it still remains! |
 |
| Freeway overpass in which Diana was killed |
 |
| Picked up some flowers along the way |
That evening we bought some vino and headed to the Eiffel Tower. Ready for the light show!
 |
| Another fantastic food we enjoyed - crepes! Especially by the Eiffel Tower with all the vendors we got these babies. Yum-o. |
Our last full day in Paris (sniff, sniff) we headed out to the Palace of Versailles - it was a bit of a trek, so it did take us most of the day. Plus, as you'll see, the gardens are amazing! We spent just as long (if not more) taking different mazes through the garden paths than being inside the palace.
Dessert our last night...
 |
| Amazing fruit tarts! |
We did make it back to the Eiffel Tower to climb it to the 2nd level (a few more steps...) our last night. A little saddened we didn't get the chance to show my young sis some/a museum (no Louvre), but that's what repeat trips are for! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment