Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings : Becoming "Real"

I think we have a few little resolutions going around for the new year, but our biggest one revolves around food. Generally, we're all eating healthier. Josh has done a real good job incorporating a lot more vegetables in his diet and has eliminated a large part of carbs from his meals. When I saw him starting to make those changes, it got me thinking about wanting to make a diet overhaul for everyone. I had just started looking at things in our pantry, in the fridge, and realized how much processed stuff we had.

So, as of the beginning of the year, I've started to throw stuff out. I've started to try and buy most things Organic because I believe that at the least, the ingredients are healthier. I'm trying (though on the slower side) to start making more things from scratch. I'm studying up on how to read and understand labels better. I'm trying to buy/make more "real" things as opposed to processed, incorporating more vegetables and fruit into our meals. I'm also trying to get the kids into those things :p (which brings me into that I at least feel better about buying organic snacks for them to eat if I can't get them to touch a bell pepper!) Along with the kids I'm trying to up our intake of water.

While I'd like us to try and be healthy and eat "real" most of the time, this isn't to say I'm going to freak out over ordering a pizza or eating out. I still don't believe in deprivation ;) I want my kids to get from this that eating healthy is good and important, but it's still ok to treat yourself every now and then.

Along the same lines, I'm glad my kids see me being active running/working out. Some days Nate does my Jillian Michaels DVD workouts with me! I want them to see that as being important too. So I have also been trying to work out most days of the week- whatever the day allows me to do (gym,run, DVD)

On top of working out and whipping our diet in better shape, I'm also working on getting ready for Nate's birthday party! Holy cow! In less than a month I'm going to have a five year old. Five years as a SAHM. And you know? Most days it is the best job :)


No comments: